Slow but oh-so-good cooking. That's what this chili’s all about. Want to add leftover shredded roasted chicken or turkey breast? Go right ahead. Poultry- or veggie-style, it’s a wonderful one-pot dish for chilly winter evenings or party nights in front of the T.V.
- ¼ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ½ cup chopped garlic
- 1 cup Ground So Soya (dehydrated soybean product). Soak in ½ cup hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain excess liquid. So Soya products are in some grocery stores and can also be ordered online at: Portello.com/.
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added spice mix, such as Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning *
- 1 chipotle pepper
- ½ cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups cooked red beans (If using canned varieties, purchase no-salt-added.)
- ¼ cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato puree
- ½ cup medium-diced carrots
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Veggie Grated Topping, Parmesan Flavor (made by Galaxy Nutritional Foods and found in grocery stores or at www.galaxyfoods.com)
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
* Make your own Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning by blending granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and paprika. You can also purchase our chefs’ Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning online. Or call 800-327-4914 and ask for the Pritikin Store.
- In a large nonstick stockpot, sauté bell peppers, onion, and garlic at medium-high heat until brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add So-Soya and no-salt-added spice mix, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except Veggie Grated Topping and cilantro, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Finish off with Veggie Grated Topping and freshly chopped cilantro. Remove chipotle pepper before serving.
Serve with whole-wheat, low-sodium pita chips, brown rice, mashed potatoes or by itself.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
60 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4g protein, 3g fiber, 65mg sodium.