Roasted and Stuffed Holiday Acorn Squash
HEALTHY RECIPE FROM THE PRITIKIN COOKING SCHOOL
"Healthy" does not have to mean "blah!" The award-winning chefs at Pritikin are masters at showing people how delicious healthy eating can be.
Pritikin Recipe: Roasted and Stuffed Holiday Acorn Squash. Get ready for some "oohs" and "ahhs" when you serve these pretty little babies to guests!
Stuffed and Roasted Holiday Acorn Squash
| || |
Add to Shopping List
This recipe is in your Shopping List
What an explosion of flavors in this super-healthy Roasted and Stuffed Holiday Acorn Squash! Cranberries, raisins, barley, basil, garlic, and more! And not one bit of added salt or fat.
| Servings|| Prep Time|| Cook Time|
| 6servings|| 40minutes|| 30minutes|
| Servings|| Prep Time|
| 6servings|| 40minutes|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scoop out seeds of the 6 acorn squash halves. Bake squash halves in a nonstick baking pan, cut side up, until soft to the touch, about 20 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Remove squash halves from oven and let cool.
- To make stuffing, combine in a large bowl the next 7 ingredients (cooked barley through 2 tablespoons fresh basil strips). Mix well.
- To make dressing, whisk together in a small bowl the white vinegar, apple juice concentrate, garlic, and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil.
- Pour dressing over barley-vegetable-berry mixture. Mix well. Let sit for 10 minutes. Use mixture to fill each half of squash.
- In a nonstick baking pan, place the stuffed squash halves. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve one squash half per person.
For a sweet-tangy note, add blueberries to stuffing. The stuffing is also nice as a side dish, salad, or snack.