- Caribbean Chowder
- Indulge yourself with Caribbean Chowder, a zesty mingling of seafood, veggies, and spices like chipotle.
- 1poundshrimp shells
- 1baby carrots with greens attached diced
- 1head celery diced
- 1poundokra diced
- 2vidalia onions diced
- 1head fennel diced
- 1/2cupchopped garlic
- 10ounceslow sodium tomato puree
- 1bay leaf
- 1bunchthyme leaves picked and chopped
- 1chipotle pepper whole
- 1tablespoondried oregano
- 1/2poundsalmon diced
- 1poundwhite fish (such as halibut, sea bass or tilapia) diced
- 1poundshrimp peeled, deveined and diced
- 1/2poundwhole baby clams, low sodium
- black peppercorns, ground to taste
- 1bunchcilantro leaves picked and chopped
- To make stock, bring shrimp shells to a boil in water (can also add carrot skins, celery leaves, fennel greens, and onion skins). Simmer for 2 hours. Drain and reserve liquid.
- In large stockpot, add all vegetables, including garlic, and sweat until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato puree, bay leaf, thyme, shrimp stock, chipotle pepper, and oregano. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Add salmon and white fish. Simmer for 1 hour more, breaking fish with back of spoon. Add shrimp and clams. Cook 1 minute. When ready to serve, add black peppercorns and cilantro. Remove chipotle.