This zesty, hearty Ajiaco Soup from the creative chefs at the Pritikin health resort is sure to fill you up and warm you up. It's also calorie-light and sodium-light.
Yield: 8 1-cup servings
- 1-1/2 cups onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup sweet potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup yuca (cassava) diced
- 1 cup malanga or boniato diced
- 5 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 ear corn on the cob cut into 1" slices, then halved
- 1/2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 2 cups tomato sauce no salt added
- 2 tablespoons Pritikin® All-Purpose Seasoning*
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped (optional)
- Pre-heat a large nonstick stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add diced sweet potato, carrots, yuca, and malanga or boniato.
- Add vegetable stock and stir until vegetables are well combined. Cover and simmer until vegetables are softened and have started to break down, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Add corn-on-the-cob pieces and fresh corn kernels. Continue cooking until vegetables are creamy and tender.
- Add tomato sauce and Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Add lemon juice and chopped cilantro, to taste. Garnish, if desired, with additional chopped cilantro and chopped green onions.
* You can purchase our chefs’ Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning online at the Pritikin Store. Or make your own salt-free, all-purpose seasoning by blending granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and paprika, all equal parts except paprika (cut paprika in half).