The Pritikin Diet & Eating Plan
Enjoy a superabundance of healthy, delicious foods without ever feeling hungry!
There is nothing extreme about the Pritikin Diet except that it is extremely healthy. In more than 100 studies published in peer-reviewed medical journals, the Pritikin Program of Diet and Exercise has been found to not only promote weight loss but also prevent and control many of the world's leading killers, including diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease.
- Whole Grains like whole-wheat bread, brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, and oatmeal
- Starchy Vegetables like potatoes, corn, and yams
- Legumes such as beans (like black beans, pinto beans, and garbanzo beans); peas; and lentils
- Lean Calcium-Rich Foods such as nonfat dairy milk, nonfat yogurt, and fortified soymilk
- Fish (a rich source of omega-3-fatty acids)
- Lean Sources of Protein (very low in saturated fat) such as skinless white poultry; lean red meat like bison and venison; and plant sources of protein, such as legumes and soy-based foods like tofu and edamame (soybeans)
Food Choices for a Lifetime of Good Health
Below are fish/poultry/meat choices rated from “Best” to “Poor”:
- Best: Omega-3-rich fish (such as salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel, and trout). Choose at least 2 times weekly. If you’re using canned fish, such as canned sardines, select very-low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties.
- Good: Most other fish, plus shelled mollusks (clams, oysters, mussels, scallops).
- Satisfactory: Crustaceans (shrimp, crab, lobster),
Poultry (white meat, skinless),
Game meat (bison, venison, elk), optimally free-range and grass-fed.
- Poor: Red meat (beef, pork, veal, lamb, goat). For all red meat choices, select cuts that are under 30% fat.
For optimal heart-health results, limit “Satisfactory” choices to no more than 1 serving per week and “Poor” choices to no more than 1 serving per month.
Food Education at the Pritikin Longevity Center
Five bountiful meals and snacks are served daily at the Pritikin Longevity Center. The Pritikin Diet works in part because you aren’t losing your mind while you’re losing weight. There’s no calorie counting, no deprivation, and no hunger. Instead, the focus is a lot of good food that is low in calorie density, naturally high in nutrients, and delicious. Each day, wellness education workshops and cooking classes led by Pritikin’s nutritionists and award-winning chefs teach all the basics for healthy Pritikin living at home. Topics include:
Learn More About the Healthiest Foods On Earth
Are You Ready to Get Started?
or complete the form and we’ll reach out to you.