Chocolate Brownie Oatmeal
This Pritikin-approved recipe comes to us from food blogger Anjali at Picky Eater, who is devoted to helping her spouse (a "white-bread-eating, fast-food-loving" guy) become a lover of healthy whole foods... Writes Anjali: "It's no secret that I love oatmeal, and I'm always looking for ways to spice it up to make my breakfasts more interesting and fun. So why not make oatmeal that tastes like you're eating a delicious, gooey, chocolate brownie? Here is my recipe for Chocolate Brownie Oatmeal. I promise, you will love it. It is the most decadent healthy breakfast you'll ever eat! It tastes just like a chocolate brownie, but it’s lightly sweetened and loaded with fiber. I eat it almost every day."
Yield: 4 people
- 1/2 cup rolled oats cooked with 1.5 cups of water
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (raw, unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk (non-fat)
- 1 tablespoon walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup blueberries (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Splenda
- Cook the oats with 1.5 cups of water until the oats are fluffy and all the water has disappeared (I do this by cooking it for 2 minutes in the microwave, stirring, and cooking it for 2 more minutes.)
- Add the cocoa powder and cinnamon to the cooked oats while they are still hot.
- Stir until everything is fully combined, and your oats have a deep chocolatey color.
- Add the walnuts, and the milk (you can add as much milk as you like – I use about 1/2 a cup to give the oats a nice creamy consistency)
- Add the splenda and stir to combine until the oats have the consistency you like. If you’re using blueberries, add them in now.
- Enjoy the chocolatey brownie goodness of the oatmeal.
The raw cocoa powder is actually one of the healthiest parts of this dish. While normally, adding chocolate would make the dish unhealthy, adding raw unsweetened cocoa powder is completely different. It comes straight from the cacao bean, so it contains tons of antioxidants, polyphenols, a bit of fiber and some protein too! So you really can’t go wrong with this superfood ingredient. And it tastes just like chocolate when sweetened slightly, so it’s absolutely perfect!