Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup
There's nothing more comforting than a bowl of Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup, but the sodium content of many recipes can be a staggering 600 mg per cup. Our Pritikin version has no added sodium but loads of deep, savory flavor.
Yield: 10 1-cup servings
- 1/2 cup fresh garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 whole cabbage finely sliced, core cut out
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 Tbsp basil (dry)
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano , dry
- 1 cup tomato puree (low sodium)
- 1 quart vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 pound sugar cane stalks split
- 1 Tbsp Pritikin® All-Purpose Seasoning*
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 Tbsp coriander freshly ground
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- In a large stock pot, saute garlic, onion, and cabbage on medium-high heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, basil, oregano, tomato puree, vegetable stock, vinegar, sugar cane, Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning, and water. Bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Add coriander and black pepper. Remove sugar cane. Adjust vinegar and seasonings, if needed. Cook for 5 minutes more. Serve.
* You can purchase Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning online at the Pritikin Store.