76% Significantly Reduced Their Fasting Blood Glucose
Among people newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, 76% reduced their blood glucose to levels where they were no longer defined as having diabetes. Diabetes Care
71% No Longer Needed Medication
Among people on oral drugs to control their Type 2 diabetes, 71% left the Pritikin Center no longer needing their pills. Diabetes Care
50% Reversed Their Diabetes Diagnosis
In 50% of overweight men, the Pritikin Program reversed the diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes. Journal of Applied Physiology
100% Of Children Reversed Their Metabolic Syndrome Diagnosis
In 100% of overweight children, the Pritikin Program reversed the diagnosis of Metabolic Syndrome (a pre-diabetic condition). Metabolism Clinical and Experimental
In the Journal of Applied Physiology, scientists at Washington University School of Medicine described the diabetes treatment center at Pritikin as a “miracle treatment” with a “phenomenal clinical response.”
About the Pritikin Longevity Center
Pritikin was the first comprehensive lifestyle program in America, and after 37 years on the cutting edge of lifestyle science, we are still the longest-running, most successful program for reversing many of modern society’s health concerns, including obesity, heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes.
Our guests describe their experience as “transformative.” Each day, they are immersed in education classes, exercise, counseling, and physician-led seminars that imbue them with the confidence to continue their healthy new lifestyle when they return home. The benefits truly are life-saving.
Diabetes Therapy at the Pritikin Longevity Center Includes:
Spacious, casually elegant rooms and suites. Guests with diabetes generally book two- or three-week stays.
You’ll enjoy an abundance of delicious food – five gourmet meals and snacks daily. Succulent fruit. Savory, grilled vegetables. A bounty of salads. Fresh, from-scratch soups like Heirloom Bean and Tuscan Leek. Roasted lobster. Grilled bison. Chocolate mousse.
Hunger is never an issue. In fact, many of our diabetes center guests say they’re eating more, yet weighing less. For most individuals with Type 2 diabetes, blood glucose levels trend toward normal or near-normal ranges.
Premier Medical Program
A hallmark of Pritikin is its strong medical presence. Our 10 board-certified physicians provide each guest with the expert medical attention required for achieving major life changes smoothly and successfully.
Diabetes treatment at the Pritikin Longevity Center includes:
- Complete 1-hour history and physical, including blood glucose evaluation, medication review, dietary analysis, and weight-loss planning.
- Private physician consultations throughout your stay to closely track your glucose levels, fitness progress, weight loss, and overall health.
- State-of-the-art blood panels, including inflammatory markers, comprehensive cholesterol analysis, and insulin and blood sugar sensitivity.
- Cardiometabolic stress test to set you up with a safe, effective exercise prescription.
- Daily Glucose Monitoring. Daily glucose testing during a period of change in dietary patterns and lifestyle is necessary because the testing confirms the benefits of lifestyle modification and reduces the risk of hypoglycemia as you transition to better health and glucose control.
- RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate). This study evaluates your body’s ability to metabolize foods (burn calories). It also helps identify possible alterations in lifestyle that can assist in reducing weight.
- 24/7 medical supervision via our on-site Medical Department and EMT coverage.
Fitness For Life
The Exercise Program has always been a hit with guests. Just walk in the gym, and you feel the excitement. People are laughing, cheering each other on, and, most of all, thrilled because they’re shedding fat and building muscle quicker and more effectively than they ever thought possible.
The Pritikin Exercise Program teaches a comprehensive three-pronged approach involving cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, and stretching. Each element is designed to be safe, fun, and easy to follow.
Also offered daily are elective fitness classes, including Sunrise Stretch, Yoga, Aquatics, Abs & Glutes, Spinning, Functional Fitness, and Zumba Dance.
Daily exercise is valuable for reducing insulin resistance and “burning up” sugars before they have a chance to build up in the blood. The exercise regime you learn at Pritikin will help ensure that you’re making the best use of your workouts for long-term diabetes control.
Education For Long-Term Success
Education is the cornerstone of the Pritikin Program. Your teachers are among the best lifestyle-educators in the country – professionals with decades of success in turning people who want to live a healthier life into people who are.
Our registered dietitians teach healthy, delicious eating in the real world of restaurants and food shopping. Our chefs show you cooking techniques that will do wonders for your blood glucose and overall health.
Our physicians conduct seminars on the powerful relationship between how you live and how your body thrives.
Small-group workshops led by our psychologist help you break through personal obstacles that may be holding you back from blood sugar control and weight-loss success.
Education classes include:
- Healthy, Pleasurable Restaurant Dining
- The Art of Simple Cooking
- Smart Supermarket Shopping
- Preventing, Controlling, and Reversing Diabetes
- Belly Fat, Metabolic Syndrome, and Diabetes
- How To Prevent a Heart Attack
- How To Normalize Blood Pressure
- Aging: How To Enhance Your Quality of Life
- Building Strong Bones
- Taking Charge of Stress
- Healthy Mind, Healthy Body
- Mapping Out Your Home Food and Fitness Plan
A Paradise of Resort Facilities
The Pritikin Longevity Center is located on the lush, 650 private acres in South Florida, and includes five championship golf courses, swimming pools, tennis and a vast array of spa/massage services, and more.
You’re Always Connected
For ultra-convenient Pritikin living at home, our chefs prepare a variety of foods, including salad dressings, no-salt seasonings, and frozen entrees, and ship them to homes nationwide. Our faculty also keeps in touch with our guests via one-on-one telephone counseling, our alumni newsletter Pritikin Perspective, and our online membership at www.pritikin.com.