Banana Rum Bread Pudding
Because of the bread and date sugar, this dessert is a little more calorie dense than other Pritikin desserts, so save it for special occassions. It freezes well, so if you have leftovers, freeze them for another special night.
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 cups whole wheat bread (low-sodium) cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons date sugar
- 1 cup fresh pineapple pureed
- 2 bananas pureed
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 teaspoon.rum extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 egg whites beat till frothy
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put bread cubes in a large bowl. Gently mix in sugar, pineapple, and bananas.
- In a separate smaller bowl, lightly blend remaining ingredients.
- Fold liquid mixture into bread mixture, trying not to break up bread.
- Pour pudding into 8” by 8” baking dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray, and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until the pudding is set and golden brown on top.