Barley & Shiitake Soup
Love the rich earthy flavor of shiitake mushrooms? You'll love this easy-to-make soup!
Yield: 6 servings
- Light mist oil spray such as Pam
- 1/2 cup onions minced
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 4 cups vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- 1/4 cup barley pearled
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley leaves chopped
- Lightly mist bottom of soup pot with vegetable spray. Heat to medium temperature, then sauté onions until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add peppers, carrots, and mushrooms, and continue sautéing for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock and barley. Cook at medium temperature, uncovered, till barley is cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce and parsley. Serve.