Black Lentil Soup
Yield: 8 people
- 1 pound black lentils (dry) soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 2 onion (Vidahia) diced
- 1/4 cup garlic (fresh) chopped
- 1/2 head celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 potato (Idaho) peeled and diced
- 1 quart water
- 2 teaspoons oregano , dry
- 2 teaspoons basil (dry)
- 1 teaspoons cumin ground
- 2 teaspoons thyme (fresh) chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro leaves (fresh) chopped
- Sauté lentils in large nonstick skillet with onion, garlic, and celery until hot.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and cook over low heat until beans are tender. (Cooking time varies depending on age of beans.)
- When beans are tender, remove bay leaves, add cilantro, and serve.
Freeze half of the soup in 4 single-serving containers for future lunches and dinners.