Our Pritikin Braised Cabbage is a budget-friendly side, main dish, or snack that contains all the zing and nutritional goodness of this humble dish but without the artery-stoppers that often accompany it, like butter and beef. Cook up a big batch on Sunday, and enjoy it all week long.
Yield: 12 people
- 1 large head green cabbage rough chopped
- 4 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 ounces stoneground mustard no salt added (such as Westbrae)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 lemons juiced
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns ground
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds toasted and ground
- In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes over low heat. Serve hot.
To toast seeds, place them over high heat on the stove in a small heavy skillet. Toss them frequently until fragrant, about 2 to 4 minutes.