Braised Fish With Marsala, Shiitake Mushrooms, and Tomatoes
This Braised Fish With Marsala, Shiitake Mushrooms, and Tomatoes is a superb party dish. Who needs fat when your entree is infused with the deep rich flavors of Marsala wine and shiitake mushrooms? Excellent fish choices for this recipe are grouper, monkfish, halibut, cobia, or sea bass.
Yield: 8 people
- 2 pounds fish cut into 4-ounce portions
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup shallots sliced
- 1/4 cup garlic sliced
- 3/4 cup wine Marsala
- 3 cups tomato sauce (no-salt-added )
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns ground
- 1/2 bunch basil chopped
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley chopped
- 1 pound spinach sliced into long thin strips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large hot nonstick skillet, sear fish and shiitakes. When light brown, remove the fish and add the shallots and garlic.
- When the garlic becomes golden brown, loosen the brown bits of food on the bottom of the pan with Marsala and reduce mixture by half, keeping temperature hot.
- Return fish to pan and add tomato sauce, soy sauce and black pepper.
- Place skillet in oven and bake until fish is cooked (about 3 minutes, depending on fish).
- Remove from oven and place skillet on top of stove. Add basil, parsley, and spinach. Cook until spinach wilts. Serve immediately.