Indulge yourself with Caribbean Chowder, a zesty mingling of seafood, veggies, and spices like chipotle.
Yield: 12 people
- 1 pound shrimp shells
- 1 gallon water
- 1 baby carrots with greens attached diced
- 1 head celery diced
- 1 pound okra diced
- 2 vidalia onions diced
- 1 head fennel diced
- 1/2 cup garlic chopped
- 10 ounces tomato puree (low sodium)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch thyme leaves picked and chopped
- 1 whole chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dry)
- 1/2 pound salmon diced
- 1 pound white fish (such as halibut, sea bass or tilapia) diced
- 1 pound shrimp peeled, deveined and diced
- 1/2 pound whole baby clams, low sodium
- black peppercorns ground to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves picked and chopped
- To make stock, bring shrimp shells to a boil in water (can also add carrot skins, celery leaves, fennel greens, and onion skins). Simmer for 2 hours. Drain and reserve liquid.
- In large stockpot, add all vegetables, including garlic, and sweat until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato puree, bay leaf, thyme, shrimp stock, chipotle pepper, and oregano. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Add salmon and white fish. Simmer for 1 hour more, breaking fish with back of spoon. Add shrimp and clams. Cook 1 minute. When ready to serve, add black peppercorns and cilantro. Remove chipotle.