Want a cheeseburger for dessert? That's what you get in terms of artery-clogging saturated fat when you have regular cherry pie. Get zero saturated fat but lots of lip-smacking cherry flavor with our Pritikin Cherry Pie.
Yield: 8 people
- 2 cups corn flakes (no sugar, no salt added)
- 4 cups cherries frozen (thawed), then pitted
- 2 Tbsps frozen apple juice concentrate thawed, undiluted
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsps cornstarch mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In food processor, grind corn flakes until they are the size of peppercorns.
- Lightly spray bottom of pie baking pan (8 inches in diameter) with Pam. To make crust, press corn flakes into bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Fill pie pan with cherry mixture, and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
* Good brand choices of corn flakes are Grainfield's or Erewhon.