Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Tomatoes, Spinach, Mushrooms, and Herbs
Here's a show-stopper for your next dinner party. A Mediterranean-style symphony of roasted tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms, basil and more, all rolled within chicken breasts. A fantastic blend of gourmet eating and good health.
Yield: 6 people
- 12 plum tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano , dry
- 1 teaspoon Splenda
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 8 large white mushrooms sliced
- 12 garlic cloves chopped
- 6 shallots sliced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (fresh) leaves chopped
- 2 bags spinach 10-ounce bags, fresh, leaves sliced
- 6 egg whites
- 6 slices bread (100% whole-wheat) ground into crumbs
- 4 tablespoons basil (fresh) leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley (fresh) leaves chopped
- 6 4 ounces each chicken breasts (skinless, boneless)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with balsamic, oregano, and Splenda.
- In a nonstick baking pan, bake tomatoes, cut side up, until they are reduced to half their size, about 2 hours.
- Remove. Let cool. (This first step can be done up to 3 days ahead of time.)
- In a large hot nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms till brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, shallots, and rosemary. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add spinach. Mix well. Let mushroom mixture cool completely.
- When cool, dice tomatoes. In a large bowl, mix tomatoes with mushrooms/spinach mixture, egg whites, breadcrumbs, basil, and parsley.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a large cutting board, pound the chicken breasts to thin them out.
- Spread tomato/mushroom/spinach mixture on top of each breast and roll.
- Season rolls with paprika. Place rolls in a nonstick baking sheet and bake in 350-degree oven till chicken is cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let sit for 2 minutes. Slice each roll, if desired, or serve whole.