Chicken Corn Chowder
Yield: 6 people
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup green pepper diced
- 1 pound chicken breast (skinless boneless) cut into chunks
- 1.5 cups chicken broth (nonfat, low-sodium)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 1.5 cups frozen com kernels
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dry leaves)
- black pepper ground to taste
- 1 tablespoons white wine worcestershire sauce
- Spray a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven generously with vegetable oil cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the chopped onion and green pepper until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken breast chunks and sauté briefly.
- Combine the chicken broth with the cornstarch in a small mixing bowl and add to the Dutch oven along with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring the chowder to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the diced potato pieces are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to keep the chowder from scorching.
- Remove the bay leaf. Serve hot along with a generous tossed salad.