Cream of Mushroom and Crab Soup
One of the extraordinary talents of our chefs at the Pritikin Longevity Center is taking food that is normally packed with blood-pressure-raising salt, like soups, and replacing that salt with ingredients like fresh herbs and other seasonings, like porcini powder, that are far more interesting - and tastier - than salt. This Cream of Mushroom and Crab Soup is a superb example.
Yield: 8 people
- 2.5 pounds button mushrooms washed and chopped
- 1/2 pound vidalia onions chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh garlic chopped
- 1/2 pound Idaho potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound parsnips peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 quarts vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- 2 teaspoons oregano , dry
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon porcini powder
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 2 cups milk nonfat
- 2 cups sour cream, fat free
- 1/2 pound crabmeat (lump )
- 1/4 cup chives (snipped )
- In a large nonstick stockpot, sauté first 9 ingredients (through soy sauce) for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, oregano, basil, porcini powder, and wasabi powder, and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add milk and blend until smooth. Add sour cream and crabmeat. Stir and blend, cooking another 2 minutes. Serve garnished with chives.