Creamy Celery and Asparagus Soup
In warm weather, try this soup chilled, suggests Chef Anthony. And once again, have some fun. Play with ingredients. Love garlic? Add more! Like fresh oregano and have some sitting in the fridge? Add it! Enjoy quinoa? Use quinoa instead of brown rice.
Yield: 12 8-ounce per servings
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 cups celery chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 cup asparagus spears separate the tips
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 8 cups vegetable broth (no-salt-added)
- 1 cup yellow tomato diced
- pinch Pritikin seasoning (homemade blend of granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon peeper, and paprika)
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- pinch black peppercorns ground
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, low sodium
- Lightly mist soup pot with vegetable spray, and heat to medium temperature. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add celery, garlic, asparagus spears (not tips), thyme, and 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, paprika, cooked rice, and remaining broth, and cook uncovered for 2 minutes
- In a food processor, puree mixture, and return to heat.
- Add asparagus tips and cook 5 minutes.
- At the last minute, add basil, pepper and soy sauce.
In warm weather, try this creamy celery and asparagus soup recipe chilled, suggests Chef Anthony. Asparagus is loaded with flavor, vitamins and antioxidants.