Jerked Tofu with Red Beans, Yuca & Greens
A favorite at the Pritikin Center.
Yield: 80 people
- slide tofu into 2 oz slices - slices per serving
- 2 bunch fresh thyme picked and chopped
- 3 jalapenos seeded
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 6 medium yellow onions peeled and chopped
- 2 bunch scallions root cut off and chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger peelied and chopped
- 2 cups garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 40 pounds whole yuca peeled and cut into 3 inch wedges
- water to cover
- 6 yellow onions small diced
- 2 cups garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 quarts beans (dry) rinsed and soaked overnight
- 3 yellow onions peeled and small dice
- 1 bunch thyme picked and chopped fine
- 1 chipotle pepper deseeded
- 1 tablespoon black pepper toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
TOFU & MARINADE
- Puree all above ingredients in blender add following after pur?ed
- Toast and grind all of the following
- Mix with marinade and marinate tofu for 1 hour.
- Grill Tofu to order
- Boil until Yuca is soft.
- Leave in water until ready to serve.
- Steam greens (choice of Beet, Dandelion, Collard, Spinach, etc) to order in water with chopped garlic and dry oregano
- Cook until beans are soft.
- Remove Chilpolte Pepper