Penne Pasta in Fresh Herb Sauce
Here's Mediterranean-style eating at its very best, a recipe full of super-nutritious veggies and herbs. Our Penne Pasta in Fresh Herb Sauce is a tasty alternative to the white-flour, oil-drenched, salt-packed entrees that dominate most Italian restaurant menus in the U.S.
Yield: 4 people
- 1/4 cup shallots roasted
- 1/4 cup garlic cloves roasted and pureed
- 1 large eggplant roasted, then scoop out flesh and discard skin.
- 1 pound penne pasta (whole wheat)
- 2 zucchinis cut into 1/2-inch-thick moons
- 1 red bell pepper sliced, seeds removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup onion pureed in food processor
- 1/4 bunch basil fresh, leaves picked and chopped
- 1/4 bunch thyme fresh. leaves picked
- 1/4 bunch Italian parsley fresh, leaves picked and chopped
- 1/4 bunch tarragon fresh, leaves picked and chopped
- 1/4 bunch rosemary fresh, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns ground
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- * To roast shallots and garlic cloves, put them on a nonstick baking sheet and bake in 450-degree F oven, shaking the pan occasionally until they are browned, about 10 minutes.
- ** To roast eggplant, slice eggplant in half, and roast on nonstick baking sheet, cut-side down, in 450-degree F oven until softened but not browned, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cook pasta in a big pot of boiling water till al dente (firm, not soft).
- While pasta is boiling, saute in a large hot nonstick skillet zucchinis, bell peppers, shallots, and pureed garlic and onion till zucchini and peppers are slightly softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- When both pasta and vegetables are cooked, combine in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Serve immediately.