Pickled Beets, Mache, Roasted Peppers & Belgian Endive Salad
Yield: 12 people
- 6 cup water
- 6 golden beets peeled & sliced
- 12 cloves garlic peeled
- 12 bunches mache
- 4 red peppers
- 4 green peppers
- 3 heads belgian endive
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons picking spice, salt free
- 1/2 cup yogurt fat free
- 1 cup sour cream, fat free
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns ground
- 1 teaspoon Splenda
- In a small stockpot boil water, vinegar, pickling spice & garlic.
- After boils for 10 minutes add beets.
- Cook until tender. Strain and reserve water & beets, discard garlic & pickling spice.
- Roast whole peppers in the oven until dark brown
- Let cook and remove skin & seeds.
- Cut into julienne strips.
- Cut out roots of endive and wash leaves.
- Place a concentric circle of beets on the bottom of the center of the plate.
- Place endive leaves around the plate in a circle.
- In the center a small bunch of mache and 3 small piles of roasted peppers.
- in a blender mix sour cream, yogurt, horseradish, splenda, black pepper and 1 cup of reserved water from cooking the beets.
- Blend until smooth & serve chilled.