Raita is a South Asian yogurt-based condiment used as a sauce or dip as well as a salad dressing. It pairs well with greens, seafood, raw veggie appetizers like celery and radishes, and even as a sauce over lentils or brown rice.
Yield: 6 people
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1.5 cups yogurt plain (non fat)
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves (fresh) finely chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions or mild onion finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 tablespoons cumin toasted and ground
- pepper to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- To toast cumin, place seeds over high heat in a small heavy skillet on the stove. Toss them frequently until fragrant, about two to four minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Chill at least 30 minutes before serving.