Roasted Garlic & Caramelized Onion Sauce
Yield: 12 2-ounces per serving
- 2 large yellow onions sliced
- 2 cups garlic whole garlic cloves, peeled, roasted
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves picked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves picked and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 lemon juiced
- 1 pepper, chipotle (left whole)
- 1 pint vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- Place garlic cloves on a nonstick sheet in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes on one side, then 5 minutes on the other, till brown.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to smoking hot. Add onions, and lower heat to medium.
- Cook onions until brown and sweet. Add roasted garlic, thyme, and rosemary.
- Cook over low heat for 4 minutes. Add wine and lemon juice.
- Continue cooking till mixture is reduced about two-thirds.
- Add chipotle pepper and stock. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chipotle pepper. Puree.
From "Pleasures of the Pritikin Table"