In the mood for a hearty soup with a Caribbean flair?
You'll love this Ajiaco Soup. In Cuba and other parts of the Caribbean, Ajiaco is a zesty, substantial stew that often has as its base a variety of starchy root vegetables like the sweet potatoes, cassavas, and boniatoes in this recipe.
The Pritikin Eating Plan recommends you eat at least 5 (and preferably many more!) servings of vegetables each day. They're super nutritious. Plus, you'll just naturally eat fewer calories and shed excess weight. This healthy recipe is vegetable-rich.
| || |
Add to Shopping List
This recipe is in your Shopping List
This zesty, hearty Ajiaco Soup from the creative chefs at the Pritikin health resort is sure to fill you up and warm you up. It's also calorie-light and sodium-light.
| Servings|| Prep Time|| Cook Time|
| 81-cup servings|| 25minutes|| 60minutes|
| Servings|| Prep Time|
| 81-cup servings|| 25minutes|
- Pre-heat a large nonstick stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add diced sweet potato, carrots, yuca, and malanga or boniato.
- Add vegetable stock and stir until vegetables are well combined. Cover and simmer until vegetables are softened and have started to break down, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Add corn-on-the-cob pieces and fresh corn kernels. Continue cooking until vegetables are creamy and tender.
- Add tomato sauce and Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Add lemon juice and chopped cilantro, to taste. Garnish, if desired, with additional chopped cilantro and chopped green onions.
* You can purchase our chefs’ Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning online at the Pritikin Store. Or make your own salt-free, all-purpose seasoning by blending granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and paprika, all equal parts except paprika (cut paprika in half).