Apple Banana Cake
An cake with no sugar, egg yolks, and cream? And it tastes dreamy? Absolutely! This healthy cake recipe is the brainchild of the award-winning chefs at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Miami. For 40 years, the renowned health resort has helped tens of thousands worldwide adopt healthy lifestyle habits.
Yield: 12 slices/servings per cake
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup milk skim (nonfat)
- 1 cup Fat Free Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Splenda
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped banana
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple juice concentrate
- Cook apples and bananas in AJC with cinnamon until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool down.
- Put cooked apple/banana into mixer with whisk attachment and turn on medium.
- Add egg whites and whip for 2 minutes on high
- Add sour cream, maple syrup and vanilla, scrape down sides of bowl, mix for 30 seconds until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift all dry ingredients.
- With mixer now on low, slowly begin to incorporate dry ingredients until just mixed.
- With the mixer still running on low, begin adding skim milk until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Pour into small greased cupcake pans and bake at 375F for 20 minutes