4 4-ounce boneless chicken breasts
- 4 4-ounce chicken breasts (boneless)
- 1/4 cup apple rum (low-sodium vegetable stock)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 shallots chopped (or 3 tablespoons chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped (or 2 teaspoons chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon red crushed pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves fresh
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cooking spray oil
- 2 cups spinach (baby leaves)
- 2 Teaspoon corn starch dissolved in 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 cup grapes halved
- 1/2 cup tomatoes (cherry) halved
- Combine rum, juice, shallots, garlic, pepper, thyme, and orange zest in a blender. Blend for 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl, pour blended marinade over chicken breasts, making sure breasts are well coated. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Lightly spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat to medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts (saving the marinade). Brown breasts on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
- Add spinach leaves, cover, and cook till leaves are wilted, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Pour marinade into skillet, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add cornstarch to thicken sauce. Add grapes and tomatoes, and cover. Lower flame and simmer another 2 minutes.
This dish pairs beautifully with just about any whole grain, like brown rice or whole-grain couscous, or with potatoes or whole-wheat pasta. If desired, you can substitute wine or low-sodium vegetable stock for the rum.