Barley Vegetable Soup
If you want a snack or meal idea that's both filling and slimming, you really can't beat this Barley Vegetable Soup. Plus, research has found that barley helps lower cholesterol levels. And you'll love barley's slightly nutty, earthy flavor.
Yield: 10 1-cup servings
- 1/2 head celery diced
- 1/4 cup garlic chopped
- 2 onions diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1/2 butternut squash skinned, seeds removed, and diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower diced
- 1/4 head cabbage diced
- 1/4 bunch leeks white parts only, diced
- 1 pint RW Knudsen Very Veggie Juice (Low Sodium)
- 1/2 fennel bulb diced*
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1/2 each red/yellow/green bell peppers seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 bunch thyme fresh, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano dry
- 1/2 tablespoon basil dry
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme dry
- 1/2 cup Pearl Barley uncooked
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns freshly ground
- 1 gallon vegetable stock low sodium
- In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Puree about one-fourth of the soup in a food processor or blender, then combine with rest of soup.
* To prepare the fennel bulb, cut the stalks off the bulb to create a neat “package.” Trim base of bulb and remove core and any discolored or tough outer leaves.