Braised Chicken With Artichoke Hearts and Fennel
Enjoy the licorice flavors of fennel and the earthy zip of artichokes with this recipe for Braised Chicken With Artichoke Hearts and Fennel. You can steam fresh artichokes. It takes about 20 to 40 minutes. Artichokes are done when an inner petal pulls away easily and a sharp knife or skewer easily pierces the heart. Or buy canned, bottled, or frozen varieties. Look for no-salt-added products.
Yield: 4 people
- 1 pound chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts quartered
- 1/2 cup shallots sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh garlic sliced
- 2 fennel bulb sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves picked from stems
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves chopped
- In a large hot nonstick skillet, sear chicken on one side with artichokes, shallots, garlic, fennel, and thyme.
- Flip breasts. Add wine and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to medium-high.
- Cook until chicken is done, about 4 minutes, depending on thickness of breasts. Add basil. Serve hot.
To prepare fennel, cut the stalks off the bulb to create a neat "package." Trim base of bulb and remove core and any discolored or tough outer leaves.