Aloo Baingan is a very popular North Indian eggplant and potato stew, simple to make and oh-so-savory. If you love eggplant, you'll love this recipe, and your waistline will really love the fact that this recipe (unlike most eggplant recipes) has absolutely no oil.
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups onions (vidalia) chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms fresh, button
- 2 cups eggplant unpeeled, cubed
- 8 potatoes Idaho, medium-sized, cubed
- 2 red tomatoes large-diced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric ground
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ginger root (fresh) grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger (dry) ground
- In a large hot nonstick skillet, saute onions & garlic until they are light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, one-half cup water, eggplant, and, potatoes.
- Cook over medium heat for 12 minutes.
- Add another one-half cup of water and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.