Chayote Squash Salad
Think outside the typical salad bowl. Instead of greens, enjoy the melony-cucumber flavors of chayote squash dressed up with Asian accents like rice vinegar and a hint of soy sauce.
Yield: 6 people
- 1 pound chayote squash peeled, cut into long, thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into long, thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into long, thin strips
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (no-sugar-added varieties)
- 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate undiluted
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce low-sodium
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chives fresh, sliced
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
To peel chayotes, you’ll probably want to wear disposable gloves or peel them under cold running water, as they often ooze a slightly sticky substance. Though completely nontoxic, it may irritate sensitive skin. Slice the skin off with a regular vegetable peeler, rotating while peeling, as you would a potato.