Chef Anthony’s Bible Thumping Holy Bread
HEALTHY RECIPE FROM THE PRITIKIN COOKING SCHOOL
"Healthy" does not have to mean "blah!" The award-winning chefs at Pritikin are masters at showing people how delicious healthy eating can be.
Every whole grain in your diet helps! Studies show that eating whole grains instead of refined grains lowers the risk of many diseases, including diabetes, stroke, heart disease, and obesity. From the Pritikin Eating Plan comes this healthy, flavorful, whole-grain-rich recipe.
Chef Anthony's Bible Thumping Holy Bread
| || |
Add to Shopping List
This recipe is in your Shopping List
We swear you've never tasted bread this healthy!
- Measure warm water into a large mixing bowl; add canola oil, apple juice concentrate and lemon juice
- Stir in rolled oats, wheat bran, and wheat germ. Add yeast and mix well. Stir in sufficient whole wheat flour to make a soft, workable dough (about 6 cups)
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface. Knead 10-15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic, adding small amounts of flour to surface as needed to keep dough from sticking. Form dough into a ball and place in greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise 40 minutes or until doubled in warm area. (An oven with just the light turned on for warmth works great!)
- Punch down and shape into 3 round balls. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Form into loaves and place in greased 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 loaf pans. Brush tops with canola oil. Cover and let rise 30-40 minutes or until doubled. Over-rising will result in a dry texture.
- Bake in a 350F oven 35-40 minutes or until bread tests done. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.