Chick Pea & Vegetable Curry
Yield: 4 portions
- 1 medium yellow onion medium dice
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon ginger (fresh) finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 heaping tablespoon curry powder (madras style)
- 1 heaping teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup vegetable stock (no salt added )
- 1 can tomatoes (1.5 cup) chopped
- 1.5 cups soy milk (plain)
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (no salt added) drained
- 1 medium bunch collard greens or kale (organic) cut in half horizontally and chopped into ½ inch strips
- 1-2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger and water and cook until beginning to soften; about 3-4 minutes. Allow the water to evaporate.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala and sauté for another few minutes to bring out the flavors of the spices, stirring frequently.
- Add the veggie stock, tomatoes, soy milk and garbanzo beans.
- Cook on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes to blend the flavors; reducing the liquid by half.
- Add the collards and vinegar and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with pepper. Serve on its own or over brown rice.
This recipe is very versatile and goes well with many vegetables. Experiment by adding carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or anything else that is in season. Carrots will take a bit longer to cook but you can add the other vegetables at the end and cook for just a few minutes. Frozen peas will also work really well.