Chicken Veggie Burgers
Instead of the classic hamburger or cheeseburger, loaded with artery-clogging saturated fat, opt for this delicious chicken veggie burger that has just 1/2 gram of saturated fat! Sandwich this burger between two pieces of whole grain bread or eat it without, and you’ve got a Pritikin-approved barbecue dinner.
Yield: 8 people
- 1 pound chicken breast (free-range, skinless)
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped (Remove seeds for less heat.)
- 2 teaspoons garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Pritikin® All-Purpose Seasoning* Available at PritikinFoods.com
- 3 tablespoons pita bread ground, whole-wheat (optional, for the juiciest burgers - leave them out)
- Use a food processor to chop chicken until well ground.
- In a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat, sauté onions, celery and carrots for about 3 minutes, until translucent. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, sautéed vegetables, jalapeno, garlic and Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning.
- Combine until fully incorporated. Mix in bread crumbs if desired.
- Use your hands to form 8 4-ounce patties.
- Grill patties, searing on each side until they’ve reached preferred doneness.
*Order Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning online at PritikinFoods.com, or create a spice blend using granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and paprika, all equal parts except paprika (cut paprika in half).