Chilled Tomato Watermelon & Basil Soup
Ahh! Two treasures of summer – watermelon and basil – in one refreshing, super-easy soup. And so healthy. Many soups are full of heart-damaging saturated fat and sodium. For example, a bowl of Sweet Corn Soup at Chili’s Restaurant has 20 grams of saturated fat (the equivalent of two Big Macs) and 960 milligrams of sodium (more than half what we should have for the entire day). Our Tomato, Watermelon, and Basil Soup has zero fat and a mere 15 milligrams of sodium.
Yield: 4 people
- 1 cup plum tomatoes (low-sodium) canned
- 1/4 cup tomato puree (low sodium)
- 1 cup watermelon (seedless) chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon basil chiffonade (cut into thin strips)
- * Using a grater or microplane, shave off the peel of an orange to make ½ teaspoon of shavings. The shavings are your zest, which add strong, wonderfully citrus flavor to foods. Use only the colored part of the peel, not the bitter white pith beneath.
- Combine all ingredients in ablender. Blend well.
- Chill. Before serving, garnish each bowl with a sprig of fresh basil.
- If desired garnish with watermelon balls and sprigs of fresh basil