This cornbread is free of oil, sugar, and cholesterol (what you’d find in many cornbread recipes), but full of classic, delicious cornbread flavor.
Yield: 12 people
- 1 pound corn grits
- 1/4 cup flour (stoneground whole-wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg ground
- 2 teaspoons Splenda optional
- 2 cups milk soy or skim
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (cornmeal through Splenda) and mix well. Make a hole in the center and pour in the milk and vanilla. Use a wire whisk to gently mix in the liquids, using a circular motion.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until fluffy. Pour into mixture and mix in.
- Pour mixture into muffin cups or cake tin, and bake in a hot water bath* at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- * To prepare a water bath for baking, put your filled muffin trays or cake tin in a larger pan and add enough boiling-hot water to reach halfway up the side of the smaller pan.