Lebanese Lentil Soup
There's nothing like a bowl of warm soup on a blustery day to warm you up. This Lebanese Lentil Soup tastes rich and creamy but has no added fat. It'll fill you up, not out.
Yield: 10 1-cup servings
- 1 cup lentils dry
- 1 quart vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers diced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp oregano leaves dry
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 pint RW Knudsen Very Veggie Juice (Low Sodium)
- Wash lentils.* In a large stockpot, combine lentils and all ingredients except basil, thyme, and vegetable juice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients, adjust seasonings as desired, and simmer 15 more minutes.
* To wash lentils thoroughly, place them in a large bowl and fill it with cold water. Scoop up handfuls of the lentils and scrub them by rubbing your palms together. The water will likely turn a little dirty. Drain the water and refill with clean water. Swish lentils in water and drain. Repeat until the water runs clear.