Creamy, mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish to a number of entrees. These spuds are a great way to get fiber and other nutrients from complex carbohydrates, yet when they're loaded with heavy cream it can quickly diminish their value. This winter, try out one of Pritikin's most popular recipes.
Yield: 4 people
- 1 pound Potatoes (Yukon Gold)
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh or thawed frozen kernels)
- 1/4 cup milk (non fat) very hot
- 1/8 cup sour cream (fat free)
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- Boil potatoes in large pot of water for about 25 minutes, or until soft.
- While potatoes are boiling, sauté corn kernels for about 5 minutes in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Use a food processor to blend the softened corn kernels until they form a paste-like consistency.
- When potatoes are boiled, bring them to a large mixing bowl and mash with a wire whip.
- Add the corn, hot milk, sour cream and nutmeg if desired. Whisk until potatoes are fluffy and serve right away.