Mashed Sweet Potatoes With Caramelized Pineapple
Is there a more perfect dish than Pritikin-style sweet potatoes – rich, satisfying, creamy tasting yet low in calorie density, and so wonderfully nutritious. An extra bonus in this recipe is the luscious tang from the caramelized pineapple.
Yield: 8 people
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup pineapple diced
- 2 Tablespoons apple juice concentrate thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub potatoes. Wrap each potato in aluminum foil. Roast potatoes in oven until soft (about 45 minutes to 60 minutes, depending on size of potatoes). Cool a little, then peel.
- In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, add pineapple, apple juice concentrate, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with a whisk (wire whip).
- Mix in caramelized pineapple mixture until well combined.