Many pickled foods have more sodium than most of us should have for the entire day. These pickled carrots and onions have zero added sodium. And certainly, branch out! This recipe works well for any firm vegetable. For veggies with softer texture, like zucchini, go ahead and boil your vinegar, water, and pickling spice, but let it cool to room temperature before pouring over your soft veggies.
Yield: 4 people
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon picking spice (located in the spice/seasoning section of grocery stores)
- 3 medium-sized carrots peeled and cut into lang, thin strips
- 1 small red onion cut into long , very thin stips
- In a small pot, bring to a boil vinegar, water, and pickling spice. Boil for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, place carrots and onions in a medium bowl. Pour the hot vinegar liquid over the vegetables. Let cool at room temperature. Refrigerate.