Pritikin BBQ Sauce
Homemade sauces are especially helpful if you’re trying to cut down on sodium. A typical serving of store-bought BBQ sauce, for example, has 500mg of sodium and often more. Our recipe has just 15mg.
Yield: 10 ounces
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger peeled & minced
- 1/8 cup garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper diced
- 1 oz apple juice concentrate (frozen)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 oz stoneground mustard (no-salt-added) (such as wesbrae brand)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (low-sodium)
- 3/4 pound tomato puree (low sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns ground
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano , dry
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Cook ginger, garlic, jalapeno, apple juice and vinegar over medium heat in a large stockpot.
- Reduce until consistency of syrup, about 12 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Cool immediately.
- Enjoy on any of your barbecued burgers, meats or side dishes.