Ribollita is a great go-to meal for weeknights ahead because it tastes even better a day or two after it's been made. Don't let the long list of ingredients intimidate you. This is truly a chop-dump-stir recipe. If you can pick up a knife, you can do this!
Yield: 8 people
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 3 cups chard chopped
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup tomato puree, canned (no-salt-added)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper ground
- 1 (14.5-ounce) tomatoes diced canned (no-salt-added)
- 1 (19-ounce) cannellini beans canned (no-salt-added)
- 10 ounces large button mushrooms (about 2 cups) torn into 1-inch pieces
- Heat a Dutch oven finely misted with olive oil spray over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, celery, thyme, and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chard, kale, water, chicken broth, tomato puree, ground red pepper, and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Place 1/3 cup of beans in a bowl; mash with a fork until smooth. Add mashed beans, remaining beans, and bread to soup. Cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls.