Seared Salmon With Arugula, Mushrooms, and Balsamic Vinegar
What an orchestra of flavors! From berries to basil to balsamic! A sure hit for your next dinner party, and so easy to prepare.
Yield: 4 people
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 juniper berries
- 1/4 teaspoon basil (dry)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander ground
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepercorns ground
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme fresh leaves chopped
- 1 pound salmon cut into 4-ounce portions
- 1 pound mushrooms (assorted) cleaned and sliced
- 10 ounces arugula (fresh leaves) sliced
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Toast all spices (first 10 ingredients) together by placing them over high heat on the stove in a small heavy skillet. Toss them frequently until fragrant, about two to four minutes. Let cool. Grind all spices. Coat salmon in spices.
- In a large, nonstick, hot skillet, brown salmon and mushrooms on high heat for about 3 minutes. Flip salmon, cover, turn heat to low, and cook until done, about 5 minutes depending on thickness of salmon.
- Add arugula and balsamic vinegar. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.