Sweet Potato and Apple Salad
Instead of using heavy mayonnaise and white potatoes, opt for fat-free sour cream and sweet potatoes, which are a great source of potassium, dietary fiber and many vitamins. With the added diced apples, this salad is the perfect balance of hearty, crunchy and sweet.
- 5 cup sweet potatoes diced
- 2 cup apples diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces sour cream, fat free
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple juice contentrate (frozen
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pineapple (as you like) chunks
- 1 strawberries (if you desire, as garnish)) diced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice and dice sweet potatoes in desired size and shape.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, until soft and slightly crisped.
- Allow sweet potatoes to cool.
- Add apples and sweet potatoes to a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, sour cream, cinnamon, apple juice concentrate and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour over apples and sweet potatoes and combine ingredients well.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with pineapple chunks and sliced strawberries if desired.