Yield: 4 people
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 cup rice (arborio)
- 5 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- groun black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (fat-free)
- Preheat broiler and position rack at the top of the oven.
- Spread peppers, tomato, onion, and garlic on a large baking sheet.
- Broil until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Combine broiled vegetables with rice and 2 cups broth in a large Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Stir frequently and continue cooking uncovered. As the broth evaporates, add more in 1-cup increments.
- Cook until the rice is tender and most of the broth is absorbed, about 35 minutes.
- Stir well and add fresh basil, black pepper, to taste, and Parmesan cheese.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes and serve.