Here's a great way to take a nice hefty serving of veggies with you wherever you go. Cook up these two Vegetable Loaves over the weekend, then wrap slices individually. Pack with some whole-wheat bread and Dijon mustard. Want it warm? Just nuke your veggie slice in a microwave for 1 minute.
Yield: 12 slices
- oil spray Mexican style, if possible
- 2 cups onions minced
- 1 cup shallots minced
- 2 teaspoons soy souce, low sodium
- 2 cups carrots shredded
- 2 cups green peas
- 2 cups corn niblets (frozen is fine)
- 2 cups asparagus chopped
- 2 cups green beans chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms diced (any variety is fine)
- 3 cups pita bread crumbs (whole-wheat)
- 6 egg whites whipped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly mist large nonstick skillet with oil spray. Over medium-high heat, saute onions and shallots until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables, stirring frequently until tender, about 5 minutes. Let stand another 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add cooled vegetables to pita bread crumbs. Fold in egg whites.
- Fill 2 nonstick baking loaf pans with mixture. Bake for 1 hour. Cool before slicing.