- Vegetarian Chili
- Slow but oh-so-good cooking. That's what this chili’s all about. Want to add leftover shredded roasted chicken or turkey breast? Go right ahead. Poultry- or veggie-style, it’s a wonderful one-pot dish for chilly winter evenings or party nights in front of the T.V.
|12 half-cup servings|
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup garlic chopped
- 1 cup So Soya * ground, Soak in ½ cup hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain excess liquid. So Soya products are in some grocery stores and can also be ordered online at: Portello.com/.
- 2 tablespoons Pritikin® All-Purpose Seasoning* ** or your favorite all-purpose no-salt added spice mix.
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups red beans cooked, (If using canned varieties, purchase no-salt-added.)
- 1/4 cup shallots chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano dry
- 3 tablespoons thyme fresh leaves picked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup tomato puree no-salt-added
- 1/2 cup carrots medium-diced
- 1 cup tomatomes diced
- 1 cup vegetable stock low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon veggie grated topping Parmesan Flavor (made by Galaxy Nutritional Foods and found in grocery stores or at www.galaxyfoods.com)
- 1/4 cup cilantro freshly chopped leaves
- In a large nonstick stockpot, sauté bell peppers, onion, and garlic at medium-high heat until brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add So-Soya and no-salt-added spice mix, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except Veggie Grated Topping and cilantro, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Finish off with Veggie Grated Topping and freshly chopped cilantro. Remove chipotle pepper before serving.
- Serve with whole-wheat, low-sodium pita chips, brown rice, mashed potatoes or by itself.
*So Soya is a dehydrated soybean product.
** Make your own Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning by blending granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and paprika. You can also purchase our chefs’ Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning in the Pritikin Online Store.