Slow but oh-so-good cooking. That's what this vegetarian chili’s all about. Want to add leftover shredded roasted chicken or turkey breast? Go right ahead. Poultry- or veggie-style, it’s a wonderful one-pot dish for chilly winter evenings or party nights in front of the T.V.
Yield: 12 half-cup servings
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup garlic chopped
- 1 cup So Soya ground. See Recipe notes.
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Seasoning See Recipe notes.
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups red beans cooked, (If using canned varieties, purchase no-salt-added.)
- 1/4 cup shallots chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano , dry
- 3 tablespoons thyme (fresh) leaves picked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup tomato puree no-salt-added
- 1/2 cup carrots medium-diced
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 quart vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- 1 tablespoon Veggie Grated Topping, Parmesan Flavor See Recipe notes.
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- In a large nonstick stockpot, sauté bell peppers, onion, and garlic at medium-high heat until brown, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak So Soya in ½ cup hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain excess liquid. Add So-Soya and All Purpose Seasoning to stockpot, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except Veggie Grated Topping and cilantro, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Finish off with Veggie Grated Topping and freshly chopped cilantro. Remove chipotle pepper before serving.
- Serve with whole-wheat, low-sodium pita chips, brown rice, mashed potatoes, or simply by itself.
So Soya is a dehydrated soybean product. It is available in some supermarkets nationwide as well as online at sosoyafoods.com. Make your own All Purpose Seasoning by blending granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and paprika. Veggie Grated Topping, Parmesan, is made by Galaxy Nutritional Foods. It's in grocery stores or at www.galaxyfoods.com. Don't go overboard on it because it does have added sodium.