Wild Mushroom Soup
Yield: 15 8-ounce servings
- 2 pounds domestic mushrooms
- 1 pound shiitake de-stemmed
- 1.5 pound portabella dirt taken off stem, but stem on
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup garlic
- 2 carrots chooped
- 1/2 bunch celery chopped
- 1/4 head fennel chopped
- 1/4 bunch thyme picked & chopped
- 1/4 bunch rosemary picked & chopped
- 1/4 bunch parsley picked & chopped
- 1/4 cup porcini (dry) ground
- 1/4 tablespoon peppercorn ground
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander ground
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper & dry oregano to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- Clean all mushrooms and rough chop all vegetables.
- In a large hot stockpot sweat all vegetables, herbs and rice.
- When vegetables are soft add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for until rice is very soft (1 hour) puree.
- If covers back of a spoon it is thick enough otherwise reduce more on stove.
- Over low temperature and make sure it does not burn.