Yucatan Egg Wrap
Yucatan Egg Wrap
These days, it’s easy to pick up breakfast wraps at fast food restaurants and elsewhere, but when you count up the amount of sodium and artery-torturing cholesterol and saturated fat in most of them, you’re basically eating a bacon cheeseburger... for breakfast! For good flavor that’s also good for your heart, take a few minutes to scramble up our savory Yucatan Egg Wrap.
- 1 cup onions, green bell peppers and carrots (or any combination of your favorite veggies) sliced into long thin strips
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh garlic minced (or about ½ teaspoon no-salt-added garlic powder)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon Pritikin® All-Purpose Seasoning* (or any zesty no-salt-added seasoning of your choice)
- 1 tortilla whole-wheat (low in sodium) (Look for tortillas about 9 inches in diameter, in which the number of milligrams of sodium, per serving, does not exceed the number of calories.)
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté vegetables till crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic. Stir to combine.
- Lower heat to medium and add egg whites. Gently scramble and combine with vegetables till eggs are cooked.
- Remove veggie-egg mixture from heat. Shake on Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning.
- Using a nonstick griddle pan placed over a medium-high flame on the stove, heat one side of tortilla, about 1 minute. While tortilla heats, place veggie-egg mixture in middle of tortilla. If you’d like, add fresh herbs, such as cilantro or Italian parsley.
- Carefully remove tortilla topped with veggies/eggs from heat. To wrap, pull tortilla toward you while rolling it in the opposite direction. Half-way through rolling, flip the sides in, then finish rolling. Slice wrap in half. Enjoy immediately or wrap in foil for a tasty breakfast "to go."
* Make your own all-purpose seasoning by blending ingredients such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and dried basil. You can also purchase our chefs’ Pritikin All-Purpose Season Seasoning in the Online Store. Or call 305-935-7131.